Broadmead Baptist Church, Chigwell Road, Woodford Green IG8 8PE
Overview of role
Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support (WWMS) is a charity that assists migrants in our locality through the provision of advocacy, advice and support services. Clients access our services through a range of remote and in-person appointments. Many of our clients have experienced homelessness, destitution, or are vulnerable in another way.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in ensuring people who access our services feel welcome and are effectively supported and advised.
We are an equal opportunity organisation and strongly encourage applications from those with lived experience of migration, and from diverse applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital/civil partnership status, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or pregnancy/maternity leave status.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The Reception Volunteer will be the first point of contact for people attending appointments and will:
- Greet people when they arrive
- Maintain the reception area
- Ensure clients’ registration forms are accurately completed and obtain consent to store them
- Upload clients’ details onto WWMS’ database
You may be asked to assist with the following tasks:
- Collecting feedback from clients
- Providing information and signposting clients to other services
- Supporting the CEO with follow-up administrative tasks
- An interest in and commitment to supporting migrants
- Basic IT skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- Ability to adhere to equal opportunities policy
- An awareness of the backgrounds and experiences of migrants in their countries of origin and in the UK
- A second language
Advice sessions are held Monday mornings, and Wednesdays. You should be able to commit to attending at least two sessions each month for between 3 to 5 hours (to be agreed).
What you will receive
• Travel expenses
• Lunch expenses (if volunteering for over 4 hours in one day)
• A full induction and training
• A reference, if you volunteer for over 6 months
• Regular supervision
• First-hand experience of working with a marginalised group
If you are interested in this role, please complete an application form and email it to email@example.com or post it to Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support, Broadmead Baptist Church, Chigwell Road, Woodford Green IG8 8PE.
Suitable candidates will be invited to an informal interview. Successful candidates will be asked to complete an enhanced DBS check.
If you have any questions on the above, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support