Broadmead Baptist Church, Chigwell Road, Woodford Green IG8 8PE
Overview of role
Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support (WWMS) is a charity that assists migrants in our locality through the provision of advocacy, advice and support services. Clients access our services through a range of remote and in-person appointments. Many of our clients have experienced homelessness, destitution, or are vulnerable in another way.
We are expanding our services to include coffee mornings, where migrants living locally can come to socialise, learn English in a social setting, relax and learn about other local services. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in these mornings to create a welcoming environment, meet new people and develop skills. It is an ideal role for warm, friendly people with excellent communication skills who would like to make a difference.
We are an equal opportunity organisation and strongly encourage applications from those with lived experience of migration, and from diverse applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital/civil partnership status, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or pregnancy/maternity leave status.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The Coffee Morning Volunteer will assist with:
- Setting up the welcome space with chairs and activities
- Greeting people when they arrive
- Making refreshments
- English conversation for those who are interested
- Putting attendees at ease and making conversation
- Ensuring the welcome space is health and safety compliant
- An interest in and commitment to supporting migrants
- Friendly and compassionate
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- Ability to adhere to equal opportunities policy
- An awareness of the backgrounds and experiences of migrants in their countries of origin and in the UK
- A second language
The Coffee Mornings will be held on Saturday mornings up to once a month and you should be able to commit 4 hours from 9.30am- 1.30pm.
What you will receive
- Travel expenses
- An induction and basic training
- Regular supervision, and opportunity to debrief following each coffee morning
- A reference, if you volunteer for over 6 months
- First-hand experience of working with a marginalised group
If you are interested in this role, please complete an application form and email it to email@example.com or post it to Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support, Broadmead Baptist Church, Chigwell Road, Woodford Green IG8 8PE.
Suitable candidates will be invited to an informal interview. Successful candidates will be asked to complete an enhanced DBS check.
If you have any questions on the above, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support